Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting Ladylike

My review of a cafe Leora and I cozied up at the other night...

Okay I’ve officially entered “hibernation mode” in Paris. I know it’s only October but for a Texan, this feels like the icy depths of hell and I want to bury under the covers and not come up until April. Seeing as how that’s not an option, I decided I can at least have a happy medium by holing up in cozy cafes for hours with good friends and hot drinks. Enter L’Oisive Café. A delicious combination of tea house and knitting store, this place screams “I am girlie and I like tea caddies and kittens and reading fashion magazines and knitting hats for my dad.”

I knew places like this existed in Portland, Oregon, but I didn’t expect them in Paris. I’m not sure the whole “hipster knitting” has caught on here. Nevertheless, it is alive and well near the Place d’Italie metro. This area was filled with cute shops and restaurants, but the tea shop is my favorite. Not only do they serve a fixed menu brunch on weekends, but they appeared to have a daily special: 5.50 for a tiny coffee, your choice of cookie/pain d’epice/citrus cake, some fruit, and a teeny bowl of spiced ice cream—make that 7.50 for a pot of tea.

And the tea options are overwhelming. In fact I was so overwhelmed I got the coffee. Lame, I know. But I know I’ll be back. Seeing as how the place is quite small, I would show up early, as it appeared to be packed all the time, and god knows I wasn’t going to sit outside.

Bring your best girlfriend or mum when it’s absolutely nasty outside. My only complaint: no comfy, squashy armchairs to lounge in and knit….

No comments: