Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Year of Fat Experiment

If I was brave and gutsy and crazy, I would do a year where I let myself get really, really fat. Just give up altogether. Maybe still wear makeup and try to look nice, but just be straight-up chubby. Although if I was fat, would I even bother to look nice? Or would it be a slow, unstoppable descent into sweatpants and greasy ponytails? What a fascinating documentary that would be. Watching a formerly vain girl's transformation into chubby hell. I guess I could get to about 200 pretty easy. That's fat enough. And to document how my friends and family would treat me differently. Would I tell them it was an experiment? Or would that ruin it? Would I just wait to see who would say something first? Of course it'd be my mom: "Honey...I know you don't want to hear it, but I'm worried about your weight. You've always had such a pretty face and I don't want you to hide it. Plus, your health!!!"

I think it'd be a pretty interesting take on how society treats attractive and unattractive women. (At least that's what my artist's statement would say at MOMA.) From job interviews to going out to bars to online dating...the possibilities for awful, awkward encounters are endless! Maybe I'm the only one who would want to watch this. But I think I have some friends out there who struggle with their weight and emotional eating that would take a schadenfreude delight in watching someone say "fuck it!" and eat a pint of B&J's Chubby Monkey every night. Maybe I can get an artist's grant for this. Of course, all the money would be used for lap band surgery and hypnosis after the year to slim up. And Adderall. And other legalized speed that would curb my appetite. Diet and exercise? Nope, never heard of 'em.

No comments: